Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Cell Biology


From atop Goat's Peak Mountain I absorb so much more perspective than from the valley floor. Air quality seems so much more important than next month's mortgage payment, the ripe orange my brother passes me is a much greater blessing than the new kicks I scored last week, a quiet moment brings God closer, confuses space, time, authority, purpose, and leaves a man with so many more questions and only a few more answers. But they're the big answers - worth the cactus scrapes and the sore hamstrings.

We squat, with tight knees - tighter than a short ten years ago - and observe an ant, a dozen ants, a thousand ants, and the hole that they come and go from. Talk about purpose and existence - Christ, these guys never stop, they never question, they lift twenty-five times their weight. No complaints. Check it out - no answers there, just more questions. Or maybe a lesson in perseverance. I will look for the beauty in the cotidiano, the daily, the gratitude that I've yet to give, and weekends - ants don't get weekends.

The stadium below, miles away, is minuscule, the planet - impressive, the cosmos - incomprehensible, and me - terribly and insignificantly important, beautiful - just like you.

No comments: